Personal Status Law
||Legislative Decree 59/1953
|DATE OF PROMULGATION
||Promulgated by President Adib Shishakli on September 17, 1953
- This law is divided into six books regulating:
- Dissolution of the Marriage
- Childbirth and its Consequences
- Repeals the Ottoman Law of Family Rights.
- Legislative Decree 59/1953 was amended by Law 34/1975 and Legislative Decree 76/2010, which deals with inheritance matters.
- The Personal Status Law is also complemented by the Civil Code and the Civil Procedure Code.
- The Personal Status Law was promulgated right after Adib Shishakli formally assumed the presidency and within months before his government collapsed amid national unrest.